1. I love those moments when you finally understand something that you either never understood or, more amusingly, thought you understood but really didn't. Example: I was listening to the Bon Jovi song "It's My Life," and I had this epiphany about the lyrics. When the song says, "Like Frankie said, 'I did it my way,'" I never really made the connection to who he was talking about. For reasons I can't explain, I thought it was a reference to Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which seemed weird and wrong. Speaking of weird and wrong:
Anyway, when I recently heard that part of the song, all of a sudden the tune and words to Frank Sinatra's "My Way" came to mind, and it all made sense! It was just like that one time (all too recently) that I realized the phrase was actually "for all intents and purposes," rather than "for all intensive purposes." Ohhhh, duh! (I blame Americans' collective inability to enunciate.) You've got to love those light bulb moments when things become a little clearer.
2. I love online personality quizzes, because they tell me all about myself. I mean, if I hadn't taken that quiz to find out which Beatle I am, how would I have known that I have a soft heart or that I love animals, nature, and "quite" evenings with good friends? I wouldn't. And then I wouldn't be able to box myself into a particular personality type! Type A, B, C, or D? Red, blue, yellow, or green? Oh, the shock and horror of trying to live without a label to validate my thoughts and feelings or guide my actions and decisions! Okay, sarcastic tangent done. But really, I love online quizzes; they're so entertainingly horrible. Like a car crash, you can't help but stop and look.
3. Okay, something I actually do love is the simple joy of hearing a favorite song on the radio. Somehow it's so much more exciting than when you choose to listen to a song on a CD or through iTunes. It's one of those unexplainable phenomena. Maybe it's exciting because it's unexpected, unknown. Or maybe it makes you feel more connected to the world around you as you share something with countless strangers over the air waves. Who knows? Who cares? I just know it makes me happy.
4. I love summer nights.
Nope, not the song (although it is rather fun on karaoke). Rather, I love being outside on a warm summer night. Never at any other time does the world feel so full of possibilities. It's magical. I can't explain it, and--unlike with the above phenomenon--I won't even try. Suffice it to say that taking a walk, playing on a kid's playground, or lying in the grass looking at the stars during a warm, humid night stirs up feelings in me that are impossible to describe. Enjoying a summer night is an energizing, calming, inspiring affirmation of life packed into one short moment. What's not to love?
Anyway, I've waxed philosophical long enough. Reality is calling, as it always does, and I have to go to the dry cleaner and post office. Ah, feel the love...
I really, really like this post. Wonderful!
ReplyDelete