Sunday, August 28, 2011

All right, iTunes, you win

So today I wrote a song. I know... it's super Bohemian and teen-angsty of me. I'm not even sure how it happened (I blame "Hurricane" Irene and cabin fever), but I can assure you it is NOT in the least bit emo. Nor is it sappy and romantic. I'd say it falls into the category of "Other."

The song is, as of yet, without a fully formed melody, and it only has one verse and the chorus. So don't expect to be hearing it any time soon... or at all, actually. Because, let's face it, that's too embarrassing.

So then why did I tell you about the song, you ask? Well, I told you because I've actually been thinking a lot lately about music and song lyrics. So it relates, okay? Okay.

Living alone, I constantly have music playing in my apartment, because without it the place feels so quiet. I typically put my iTunes on shuffle mode and let it do its thing. But every once in awhile, a song will come on that I am embarrassed to have my neighbors hear (the walls are rather thin here), and I'll hurry to skip to the next song before they hear and find out that I actually spent the time and/or money to put such a ridiculous song on my computer.

But here's the problem. I think my iTunes has come to resent me for giving it permission to choose the songs only to go back on my word and overrule its decisions. See, it has started to play the same shameful songs over and over again, like it's intentionally trying to force me into admission. I think the only way to make amends is for me to acquiesce. So here it is: I like stupid songs.

There, I admitted it. And now, to prove I meant it, I'll share some of the worst lyrics from some of the more embarrassing songs I have on iTunes. All of them come from the Queen of Terrible Lyrics herself, Hilary Duff. She's just such an easy target.



Yep, the mom-to-be's song catalog is a treasure chest filled with gems of wisdom that she can share with her future child. Here's hoping it's a girl. That way, she can follow in her mom's footsteps.

When she has to walk away from an unfulfilling relationship that is "so yesterday," she'll remember that "If the light is off, then it isn't on... at least not today." And then she'll feel better.

She'll also be prepared for her high school math classes: "Is it a minus or a plus? Does enough equal enough? If you can't do the math, then nothing adds up. Tell me why I'm here."

Plus she'll be ready for the mean girls at school: "Haters, traitors to the human race. Haters. What a drag; what a waste. I'd like to see them disappear. They don't belong anywhere. Haters."

Most importantly, she'll be well-versed in the arts of decision making and self-awareness: "I'm someone filled with self-belief. I'm haunted by self-doubt. I've got all the answers. I've got nothing figured out. I like to be by myself. I hate to be alone. I'm up and I am down. But that's part of the thrill, part of the plan, part of all of the things I am."

So there you have it. I like terrible music, and Hilary Duff is going to be a terrible mother.

Okay, that was harsh and unfair... not all of the music I listen to is terrible. :)

But seriously, folks, the song I wrote isn't that bad. Who knows? Maybe I could be the next Hilary Duff!

hahahaha
haha
ha

Yeah, no thanks. I wouldn't want people to skip my songs on iTunes because they were ashamed to own my CD. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment