Friday, January 13, 2012

Dream On

This announcement is long overdue, but I am pleased to announce that I am actually, finally, amazingly, for real done with school. For-ev-er.

Pleased. Hm. Am I really? Am I really pleased?

I could be pleased. I could, in fact, be very pleased if I were to, for example, have that wonderful, illusory dream--a job. Imagine it: a job that pays me a 5-figure salary (no hourly wages, woo!); a job that allows me to work a set schedule (9 to 5, woo!); a job that gives me something to do with my time other than sit at home drinking chocolate milk, trolling Craigslist, and waiting for Daniel to come home so I can have some human interaction (my existence is pathetic, woo!).

But alas, that dream is still in the works. Don't worry; I'm doing everything I can to make it come true. I've applied for more than a dozen jobs in the past week and a half, and I even have an interview in an hour. The only problem is that I can't seem to get that Aerosmith song out of my head...

Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
AHHHHHHH

Thank you, Steven Tyler. You've summed up my thoughts perfectly, especially at the end there.

I know, I know. I sound like a total Debbie Downer. But hey, anyone who has looked for a job over the last year or two will understand. The process of job hunting is completely degrading.

To illustrate my point, here are my biggest pet peeves about online job postings:
  • When the advertisement doesn't give the company's name (um, seriously?)
  • When they try to be cutesy (please, just don't)
  • When they ask for someone with a great eye for detail and their post is filled with grammatical errors and typos (yeah, now I really want to work for you)
  • When they claim the job is "entry-level" but they want at least 5 years of experience (that's just cruel)
  • When they ask for salary requirements (I mean, how do you say "anything you're willing to give me" without sounding desperate? What is too high? What is too low?)

You see my problem(s).

Still, in the interest of not starving to death and/or having to become a stripper to pay back my student loans (hah, just kidding... no one would pay to see that), I must Carry On.

So yeah, here goes.






1 comment:

  1. you are my hero for so many reasons. at the moment it's mostly b/c of the kansas video you posted on here.

    ReplyDelete