Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Job Is Awesome

Well, I suppose it's time for me to come out and say it: I was wrong.

All those things I said about how getting a masters degree was a waste of time, how I'd never get a job, and how I was unqualified to do anything--I take them all back. Normally it might be a little degrading to admit just how wrong I was, but I'm so happy that I just don't care.

Little did I know when I wrote my last bitter (yes, I can admit it) blog post that I would be starting a great job with a great company in just 13 days! At the time I wrote it, I was looking at having to take a job I really, really didn't want to take (the word "dread"comes to mind). I had interviewed for a position I really wanted (the one I now have now, in fact), but I hadn't heard back and was convinced that when I did it would be another "no thanks."

But it was a yes (obviously)! Yay! And I couldn't be more happy with where I work. It's a relatively small office of about 15 women (yep, there are no men where I work!), and I get my own actual office--no cubicle for me! The women I work with are absolutely fabulous--every last one of them--and I love associating with them, even if they are really healthy eaters. (Weird!)

I also love the work itself. I'm so impressed and fascinated by the amazing people we feature in our magazines. There are so many talented people in the world (and in my office, for that matter)! They've inspired me to create; I'm thinking quilts. That way I can start using the sewing machine my grandma gave me before she died last month. I know she would love that I'm going to (try to) follow in her footsteps and learn to sew. I only wish she were around to teach me how!

Anyway, I can't express how blessed I feel to work in a job in which I feel accepted and comfortable and capable. I'm actually doing the work I set out to do when I went to grad school. I'm editing! And I really feel like I do a good job. I'm in my element, and it's great.

So there you have it. My job is awesome. And you know the best part? I'm relatively certain that my having a masters degree played a big part in their decision to hire me. Take that, Michelle of two months ago!

2 comments:

  1. :) I love this - thanks for sharing. usually we give up right before the best moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you love your job. It's really important to love what you do. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma passing; the best way honor her would be to start sewing. :)

    Also on a totally unrelated note: on my commute to work there is a street called Monteith and I think of you and your (former?) crush on that guy from Glee. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete